You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Book Suggestion For Book Of The Month

Discussion in 'Monthly Book Suggestion' started by FallenAngel, Jun 30, 2010.

• Staff / Moderator
    • Top Reviewer

FallenAngel Forum Owner

Book Of The Month Suggestions

For the last couple of months we have put a new book up each month but the book has been our choice, now I'd like to know what book you think deserves the centre spot and why?

If you can't think of one book in particular let us know a author, a series or a genre and we'll have a look round at what we can find.
    Take a look at your old books, that favourite you always read or that new one you haven't been able to put down. Either way we'd like to know what you think is worth reading.

Thanks
    FallenAngel
  1. theresahissong Book Reviewer

"Acheron" by Sherrylin Kenyon This is the detailed book of the leader of the Dark-Hunters. If you enjoy this series then this book is a must read.
    Hope that helps,
    Theresa
    • Staff / Moderator
    • Top Reviewer

FallenAngel Forum Owner

Would you need to read any others in the series before this?
    • Top Reviewer

emilyj27 Well-Known Member

I always say Lionel Shriver's We Need To Talk About Kevin. Dramatic and moving. Haven't read it for a few years now but it's one of those books that I judge everything else against. Wonder if it's as good as I remember.
    • Staff / Moderator
    • Top Reviewer

FallenAngel Forum Owner

By the sound of it your thinking or a re-read :), I'm going to have to look this one up.
    • Staff / Moderator
    • Top Reviewer

FallenAngel Forum Owner

Hey guys,

So our plan kinda when down the drain, due to illness hitting our household we are now close to august and a new book has not yet been selected. So we will skip this month and concentrate on augusts BOTM (book of the month). Any more suggestions to go into the hat?
  2. m0o0oeh Active Member

Nation by Terry Pratchett, an awesome book I've just finished reading, and I'll put a review up shortly.

Or, Do Androids Dream Of Electronic Sheep by Philip K. Dick. This is the book that the film Blade Runner was based on. If you've seen the film, then the book has a lot of similarities, but it also has a lot of differences. There's different emphasis on various aspects of the book and the film. The book is more focused on Deckard and his relationships, and the film is more focused on Deckard trying to "retire" these rogue replicants. Its interesting to watch the film, then read the book, and see the diferences there... Definately a good film and an excellent book.
    • Staff / Moderator
    • Top Reviewer

FallenAngel Forum Owner

Blade runner is a great film so there are two great choices, think Im going to have to do a lucky dip :)
    • Staff / Moderator
    • Top Reviewer

FallenAngel Forum Owner

October is on its way...Next book of the month?

October is drawing closer which means its time for some suggestions on the next book of the month, are you reading something right now that you have to recomend or is there an old favourite on your shelf that you can't help going back to?. What do you think should be the next book of the month?

I've just finished reading Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris and I loved this book (Wont give anything away) So I think that will be my own recomendation for October unless I can think of something even better :)

Come on give me some really good books to choose from :)

FallenAngel
  3. m0o0oeh Active Member

I still cast my vote for Peter F. Hamilton's "A Second Chance At Eden" - its an entertaining book of novella's and short stories, and for the most part, they keep you guessing whats going to happen to the final twist. The eponymous second story is possibly the best in the book, closely followed by "Candy Buds." My review is already up on here (on the earliest page of threads IIRC.)

I'll drop it round if you fancy a read Jo.

So yes, +1 for A Second Chance At Eden
    • Staff / Moderator
    • Top Reviewer

FallenAngel Forum Owner

Tempting me with another book...oh no I'll never have time for anything else lol. what's it about?
  4. theresahissong Book Reviewer

I'm currently reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and I love it!! Has anyone else read it? I thought I'd suggest it for the Book of the Month. Any thoughts??

Theresa
  5. m0o0oeh Active Member

Thanks for the idea Theresa. Have you reviewed it yet? I'd like to know what the book is about so I can take it the the rest of the staff so they can alter the site appropriately if they want to put it as Book Of The Month.
    • Staff / Moderator
    • Top Reviewer

FallenAngel Forum Owner

So we haven't had a book of the month since October (I fell behind a little didn't I?). what is everyone currently reading?...anything thats worthy of been book of the month?

FallenAngel
    • Top Reviewer

Maybe we should go for a classic book this month. My friend and I were discussing all the old favourites of ours (well, hers mostly): 1984, Animal Farm, Ivanhoe, Wuthering Heights etc etc. There's a reason they've lasted the test of time.
    • Staff / Moderator
    • Top Reviewer

FallenAngel Forum Owner

I love this idea, classics are a favourite of mine and you named some great ones, which do you like more...pride and prejudice or wuthering heights?. To everyone reading Im sorry this will be august book of the month as it was not easy to get on here when I was pregnant and harder still with a new baby.
    • Top Reviewer

Wuthering Heights is definitely my favourite. Congratulations on your daughter too! I've seen photos on Ceri's Facebook page and she looks gorgeous!
    • Staff / Moderator
    • Top Reviewer

FallenAngel Forum Owner

Thank you, I'm lucky my 4 year old behaves (most of the time) or Id never have time to do anything lol. Wuthering Heights is a great choice I'll get to work on that :)
    • Staff / Moderator

Cezz Server Administrator

6. Premonition New Member

Hey, I heard about this movie!
    I haven't read the book or anything but I heard it was good. I don't think I would watch the movie though because it seems a bit too adult-ish for me. If you get what I mean.